Document Status: Development
This document is currently being developed. A more visual update with screenshots is forthcoming featuring step-by-step instructions for library staff configuring entries in a Google Analytics account.
In order to easily track and report on book usage statistics as described in the SimplyE Circulation Analytics page, you can configure your SimplyE Circulation Manager to connect to your Google Analytics instance. Currently, Google Analytics is the only analytics engine supported for this function.
There are two components required to use Google Analytics to capture usage from your SimplyE service:
- create a property in your Google Analytics account to accommodate elements of ILS usage as registered by the Circulation Manager
- add your Google Analytics account tracking ID to an integration record for your library in the Circulation Manager Admin interface
Create a Property for SimplyE in your Google Analytics account
Creating the correct property on Google Analytics requires you to:
- Click the gear icon/the "Admin" menu item on the bottom left
- Click the blue "Create Property" button in the top of the middle column
- Choose "Web" at the top of the screen, not Apps or Apps + Web
- Scroll down and click "Continue"
- For "Website Name" type "SimplyE" or a variant that will indicate to your team the data you'll be collecting
- For "Website URL" it should be the URL of your circulation manager, which you can get from your hosting provider
- Click "Create"
The next page should show the Tracking ID in large font. It should start with UA- , not G or any other letter. Select that Tracking ID and either send it to your hosting provider or follow the instructions below to add it to the Circulation Manager.
You can ignore the Global Site Tag content; we don't tag anything in order to preserve patron privacy.
Add the Google Analytics Tracking ID to your Circulation Manager
In order to send circulation-related analytics events to your Google Analytics account, follow the instructions below to create a Google Analytics integration for your library in the Circulation Manager.
- Login to your Circulation Manager's administration site.
- Click the Configuration or the System Configuration link in the top menu bar.
- Click the Analytics sidebar item.
- Click the Create new analytics service item.
- Enter a name for the library/consortia-specific service; for example, ABC Public Library Google Analytics.
- Leave the Protocol setting at Google Analytics.
- The URL setting should also be correct and can be accepted as is.
- Click the Add Library drop-down list.
- Select the library for which this Google Analytics account applies.
- In the new Tracking ID field which appears, enter the library/consortia's Google Analytics account ID.
- Click the Add Library button.
- Click the Submit button to save the new integration.
Configure Google Analytics Dimensions for SimplyE
To capture dimension data from the SimplyE Circulation Manager in your Google Analytics account, you must set up a property in Google Analytics for the SimplyE Circulation Manager.
Reminder: we do not use Google tags to track any elements in the mobile app itself; everything is captured by the Circulation Manager and exported.
In some instances, adding Dimensions incorrectly will require you to start from scratch. Please read all the instructions first and add the Dimensions carefully, in exactly the order listed.
In your Google Analytics account, on the administration page (the gear icon in the lower left corner) for the property (middle column), go to:
- Custom Definitions
> Custom Dimensions
Add the following dimensions, in this order:
Each dimension should have the scope set to Hit and the Active box checked.
SimplyE Circulation Analytics